Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Oh Snap!

When I was in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe last spring I did something I never imagined I would have the guts to do: bungee jump. With my three other American friends we signed up to do the whole package: zip line, bungee, and swing. First you have to pretty much sign your life away. If you ask someone the risks that work there they say you’ll be fine, there’s nothing to worry about, but just in case you die please sign this paper so your family can’t sue us.


            The entire experience was amazing. I was the last of my friends to bungee and had watched more than ten other go before me. I stood at the edge of the platform looking into the horizon (not because it was peaceful but because that’s what they tell you to do). Below me is the Zambezi River flowing from the falls. With no time to even think the man yells, “Three, two, one, BUNGEE!”. I jump and he pushes. At that point whether you want to go or not, you’re going. It was a rush of pure adrenaline as my body flipped, twisted, and turned up and down and all around for a 111 meter drop. At the end, with all my blood rushing to my head and a man bringing me back up to the bridge, that was it. I was fine, not even sore or anything! I then continued to do the swing which is actually way more terrifying than the bungee, but I survived that as well. After an amazing time in Zim, we went back to Gaborone and recommended it to everyone else who was going just as our friends who had already had gone recommended it to us. Everyone knew: If you go to Vic Falls, you HAVE to bungee. The chance to jump off the highest bridge in the world twice for around $100… that’s a once in a life time opportunity.





            A few days ago my friend and roommate from the University of Botswana posted on my facebook wall a link. The title readA Aussie Bungee Jumper’s Cord Snaps But Survives 111-Metre Fall,Croc-Infested African River”. I read the article which later added a video to the top. Go take a look and even watch the video where you can see the Australian girl move down the river after her bungee snaps. I then found another video which is a news cast of the bungee including a short interview with the girl where she talked about what the experience was like. I found one other article as well called, “Oh Snap! Bungee Jumper Plunges into Zambezi River at Victoria Falls”


            Many of my friends I studied abroad with that also bungeed have been talking about it over facebook. Some of the ones who chose not to do it are now thinking that they made the right choice. It is crazy to think that it could have been me. What would I have done?

 Needless to say, this is probably going to make it hard for them to get as much business, after that how many people trust them? And here’s my question: Before you knew about the story would you ever bungee jump? Did this accident change your mind? Or have you ever bungee jumped? Would you do it again?  Let me know your thoughts! 

No comments:

Post a Comment